Sleep and play safe with nightguards & sportsguards from Alliston, ON dentist
What do nighttime clenching and grinding, and risk of sports dental injuries have in common? They can all be addressed with a similar technique – dental nightguards & sportsguards. These services are available from Alliston, ON dentist, Dr. Oksana Vozna.
Types of dental guards
Dental guards are removable appliances that fit over teeth. Dr. Vozna offers two types, suited to specific needs.
Bruxism is a condition, often generated by stress, characterized by clenching, grinding, and gnashing teeth. Most bruxing is worse during sleep, but may continue throughout the day. Bruxing is very hard on dentition. It causes teeth to wear down prematurely, and may result in fractures and chips. It also has the potential to cause root injury, which may require root canal therapy or trigger gum recession. Many bruxers suffer TMJ disorders, facial and neck pain, and chronic headaches.
For patients with bruxism, a custom-made oral splint can be used to cushion the bite force and relieve strain on jaw joints. It holds the mouth in a relaxed “teeth apart, lips closed” position. Wearing a nightguard regularly helps to train that habit by day, as well.
According to dentalcare.com (an informational resource provided by the Crest and Oral-B companies), more than five million teeth are avulsed or knocked-out each year, costing about $500 million in restoration. Many occur during sports. In fact, up to 39 percent of dental injuries are sports-related, and males are about twice as likely as females to have this kind of accident.
Mouth protection is required equipment for many school-sponsored sports. It is recommended for any activity where you could take a fall or be struck in the face, such as:
- Baseball or softball
- Extreme sports
- Hockey – ice or field
- Horseback riding
- Martial arts
- Skating – inline, roller, or ice
- Sky diving
- Weight lifting
A quality sports mouthguard is designed to spread intensity of impact evenly across the dental arch, minimizing force to any one tooth or concentrated area.
Should you choose a custom made mouth guard?
You can purchase a stock teeth grinding guard or sports teeth protector, possibly available in a few standard sizes, from a retail store for the lowest cost. For a little more money, you may choose a “boil and bite” variety that conforms somewhat to your dentition.
Yet here are several compelling reasons to consider having Dr. Vozna create one just for you, made from impressions of your own mouth:
- Effective sports protection – A football mouth guard or basketball mouth guard from Dr. Vozna is made of flexible, resilient thermoplastic material that resists bite-through and tears. Wearing one reduces chance of breaking a tooth, or knocking it loose or out completely. The guard also cushions impact between upper and lower jaws, which may reduce risk of concussion.
- Team colors – Flash your pride with a sports mouthguard made in your team’s colors, or any colors you favor.
- Cost-effective – The price of a properly-fitted, quality mouthguard is minimal compared to the expense (plus discomfort and inconvenience) of restorative dental work to repair trauma from a sports injury, or damage from clenching and grinding.
- Comfortable enough to get used – A sports mouthguard or bruxism guard mouth guard can only do its job when it is in your mouth. A custom-fitted device that fits comfortably lets you breathe naturally, communicate, and even drink water. You will be more likely to wear it regularly, for optimal benefit.
- Overall health – For many patients, bruxism aids from Dominion Street Dental improve sleep quality, beneficial to wellness.
An oral appliance, tailored to your needs, is a simple yet effective way to protect your smile and your health. Make it part of your personal preventive strategy with a call to Dominion Street Dental in Alliston, ON for custom nightguards & sportsguards. The number is (705) 435-4124.