Dental check-ups & cleanings keep Alliston, ON smiles healthy
You have the opportunity every day to practice good oral hygiene and eat a tooth-friendly diet. Yet dental check-ups & cleanings are also essential for a healthy mouth. The hygiene team at Dominion Street Dental, your local dentist in Alliston, ON, uses gentle, effective techniques to help patients of all ages enjoy bright smiles.
What happens during your professional teeth cleaning appointment?
When you call our dental office to schedule a teeth check-up, you can feel confident that your smile is in good hands. Here’s what to expect:
- A friendly assistant or hygienist greets you with a smile and leads you to the dental treatment room
- You are settled comfortably in the chair, with a paper garment provided to protect your clothing
- The chair is tilted back, and the overhead light adjusted to give the hygienist a clear view of your mouth
- Working in quadrants, the hygienist uses dental instruments to clean plaque from teeth, remove hardened deposits of tartar, and scrape away stubborn stains from tooth surfaces and crevices in between
- Then the hygienist polishes teeth with a soft rubber cup attachment on the handpiece and polishing paste; many patients say this is their favorite part of the visit, since it leaves teeth looking sparkling and feeling super smooth
- During the cleaning, you get plenty of breaks to swish with water, have debris suctioned away, and swallow
- Throughout this process, the hygienist is vigilant for signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or other dental problems; if any are detected, they are brought to the attention of the dentist
- Depending on how long it has been since your last set, digital x-rays may be taken to give the dental team an in-depth look at teeth and hard structures of the mouth
- If you would like an even more dazzling smile, in-office teeth whitening is most effective right after teeth cleaning
Many patients also choose to have fluoride treatment or dental sealants applied immediately after teeth cleaning. Fluoride is a pleasant tasting varnish or foam applied topically to fortify enamel and reverse acid attack. Dental sealant is a transparent barrier painted over the chewing surfaces of molars to reduce risk of cavities. Both services are quick and painless – numbing is not necessary.
When the hygienist has completed her work, Dr. Vozna reviews your records and x-rays, and performs a comprehensive evaluation.
Gum disease is a serious medical situation which, left untreated, can have a dramatic impact on your oral and overall health. Dr. Vozna gives close attention to the condition of gums. She notes breath odor and the color of soft tissues. She checks gums for propensity to bleed, and measures periodontal pockets. Loss of the seal of gums to teeth is a good indicator that gum disease is present. If that is the case, a deep cleaning of teeth is schedule. This procedure reduces harmful bacterial populations in the mouth and helps to re-establish gum health.
A minor issue, such as a small cavity, may be addressed immediately. A future appointment is set up if more extensive treatment is necessary. Remember, however, that with good home care and regular checkups, this may never be the case.
What are the benefits of dental check-ups & cleanings in Alliston, ON?
Dental problems do not go away on their own. Generally, they get progressively worse, causing discomfort and embarrassment. Fortunately, issues can be treated most effectively when detected early. That is why it makes good sense to maintain regular check-ups, rather than waiting for a problem to make itself known at an inconvenient time.
Regular check-ups & cleanings are affordable dentistry, helping you avoid the potentially much higher cost of having big dental problems repaired. The expense of even a single filling could exceed teeth cleaning cost.
Twice-a-year visits (or more often if recommended by the dentist) are also your opportunity to gain helpful insight into dental health. Feel free to ask the hygienist for a hands-on demonstration of proper brushing and flossing technique. Request nutritional counseling related to oral health. Ask questions about baby bottle tooth decay, pacifiers and thumb sucking, teen eating disorders, cavity prevention, chronic dry mouth, or any other oral health concerns.
At Dominion Street Dental, we believe in providing all the information you need to make good treatment decisions. Check-up appointments are ideal for learning more about restorative and cosmetic dental procedures. Our office provides a full range of general dentistry services for all members of the family including:
- Cosmetic bonding
- Custom-fit nightguards and sportsguards
- Porcelain veneers
- Root canal therapy
- Teeth whitening
- Urgent/emergency care
- White fillings
Dr. Vozna is also experienced in all phases of dental implant placement, including bone grafting and bone regeneration.
Dr. Vozna can repair most dental problems and replace missing teeth with artificial ones. Yet she prefers to help patients keep their own natural, healthy teeth – ideally for life. Dental check-ups & cleanings and preventive services are a great place to start.
At Dominion Street Dental in Alliston, ON, we love new patients. Call (705) 435-4124 to schedule initial appointments and professional teeth cleanings for the whole family.